Sunday, November 18, 2012

Where I lay my head

So I've been in Azedebo for almost a week and a half, and have yet to share where I lay my head.  So here are a few shots of the family's home and compound that I am happily staying in.  Its Sunday, so most of the family is either at church or seeing fam and friends in the area.  But be sure that Ill have another blog introducing you to my new family.

Most folks that are familiar with how we usually do our builds probably were expecting my crew and I all to be living under one roof.  The house is usually donated by the community, or we pay a small, but fair amount to the homeowner (who usually ownes another property that they then move into).  That wasn't possible in Azedebo.  The small town, didnt have to many places to offer, and those they did, were owned by some not too kind people.  Rather then providing us a fair rent, they saw an opportunity to make money, and proceeded to try to make a ridiculous amount.  In addition, the community rests on a main thoroughfare, and with that comes many of the passerby's and young men with idle hands that love hanging out on the road.  As result, well its not the safest place for a few foreigners that are assumed to have plenty of cash and fancy stuffs laying about.  

Safty is of the upmost importance, and unfortunately its not always the wildlife we are forced to worry about.  So we worked with the local officials and community leaders to get Ejigu, Temesgin and Sallamnesh a place within the school compound that overlooks our build site.  There are two security guards, and it known that unless you farm on rented school property, strangers are not welcome in the schools compound. While Lolo and I, and all of our fancy stuff moved in with a village elder and his family.  His house is literally across the blindingly dusty road from the school, so its plenty close, we have a big wall, and my "father" is very well respected so I am plenty safe.  Dont fret.

The basic set up is, Lolo and I live in a spare room in the main house.  The family was using it for storage space, and now I get to use the old cabinet and broken fridge for my own storage. Because my days (7am-6 pm) are spent at the job site or at at my crews place of living, I really am only around for the evenings.  But as one can imagine they are usually short lived.  8 hours of 34.5 C heat at 2500 meters wears you down a bit. I do manage to make it to family dinner every night, which the mother and father especially enjoy.  And its great for my Amharic, and local languages, because no one speaks a lick of English.

Ill share more about my life with the family in future posts.  For the time being welcome to Lolo and I's new home.

My bedroom.  Notice... I have a socket on the wall.

My families swanky dinning area

Lolo and the 40 or so chickens are working on their relationship.  The family and I always get a chuckle from the spats.
My not so secret garden, the chicken coop and the families farm hand

Family compound: Their convenience store on the left (faces the road) cooking area, animal and food storage, in the front and the living quarters on the right.  Its a nice spread.

Lolo, the compounds new guard puppy

Sunday = loud churches, me typing, and lots of laundry being done.

The families mango/coffee/banana grove.  There's also a few types of tubers and guards packed in as well.

My Sunday place of business.  Under the shade of a mango tree. Doi. I am still looking for a suitable set up for my hammock.

1 comment: